Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Thursday, March 28, 2013

A Busy Day Planning My Camino


Wow!
I'm doing a Happy Dance today!

I woke up and couldn't believe I had actually purchased a ticket yesterday!
I guess old age has made me fearless, 
because I really do NOT have the money for this trip. 
Luckily, one can walk in Spain almost cheaper than staying at home!

Today is a planning day. 
I have so much to do!

I got on the Godesalco website this morning 
and made a loose plan of my trip, 
based on some tips from my Camino friend, Laurie, 
who walked this route last year.

If you are planning a Camino, this is a great website. 
You can put in your beginning and ending places,
 and it will give you a list of towns, showing facilities that are available. 
Then you can pick which towns you will stop in and at the end, 
there are several options for printing,
 including an elevation profile of your walk.
Profile Example

There are several stages over 30 kilometers in the guidebooks,
and my old feet won't walk that far.
So I'm figuring out ways to break those stages in pieces.

My comfort limit is about 20-24 k per day,
which translates to 12-14 miles.
Luckily, most of the terrain on the first part of the VDLP is flat walking,
or gently rolling hills.
The rough stuff comes later in Galicia,
 after I've gotten into better shape.

Looks like it should take me around 40-45 days to complete the VDLP,
barring problems.
That leaves me another 30 days to play on the Camino Frances,
and to visit Little Fox House in Muxia. 
Praia do Lago, on the beach trail to The Little Fox House!

Today I have to order a new clothesline.
I lost mine on the last trip.
I love this one from the Rick Steves website.
 It's about $10 and works great without pins or pegs.
 It also is more sturdy than others I've used.



I'll spend one night in Madrid.
Then.. I'll take RENFRE or a bus to Seville.
 I haven't decided yet which way I'll go. 
I am 60 now and eligible for a nice little card 
that will give me 20-40% discounts on travel and hotel arrangements. 
So I'll pick that up in Madrid,
 then decide which way is the least expensive way to get to Seville, 
where I've made reservations for two nights at Pension Vergara.

This place looks a little cluttered, but fun! 
And it's right across the way from the Cathedral, 
so it will be very convenient.
Hopefully it won't be perfumed,
in which case I'll have to find other lodging.

Here is what the website says about this Pension:

Hostal-PensiĆ³n Vergara is a restored convent in the Santa Cruz district, 250 metres from Seville Cathedral. 
Set on a quiet pedestrian street, it offers free Wi-Fi and a 24-hour reception.
Air-conditioned rooms at the Vergara feature tiled floors and come with a safe and work desk. 
Set around a garden patio, all have shared bathroom facilities and some have a private balcony.
There are vending machines for drinks. 
Many shops, bars and restaurants can be found within a short walk of the Vergara. 
Luggage storage is offered and there is a tour desk. 
Public parking is available nearby for an extra charge.

I'm spending two days in Seville so I can take a day to visit Italica again.
These wonderful Roman ruins are fascinating and worth a few hours.
I think I'll do a blog on Italica later today if I have the time.

Right now, I must get dressed and get busy!  
I have to figure out what gear I'll need.
I'm considering leaving my down sleeping bag home
and making a microfleece sleep sheet.
I want my pack to be as light as possible.

Hoping to keep it simple,
Love,
Annie





5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Annie! I had no idea you were planning such a trip! I will pray for you.

    And I will also envy you, terribly! Life is very much with me just now, and I find myself daydreaming endlessly about escaping from everyone and everything, and going walking in Spain once more....

    Buen camino.

    JGE+

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not do-able, alas.

    BUT -- your news has inspired me to open a dedicated savings acct, today!, into which I will funnel enough money so that a trip next year WILL be do-able.

    Pax

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.