Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Friday, February 14, 2014

MANTECA COLORÁ

One of my favorite breakfasts while in southern Spain 
was a mixture of lard, pork, garlic, and other spices, 
served in a tub, 
and spread on grilled toast.

Now that I'm on the Paleo Diet, 
this lusciousness is well within the range of "can haves" 
and so I decided to try to make it on my own.

There are many versions of this manteca.
This time, I decided to try making it with fresh pork loin.

I gathered my ingredients:

First, manteca. 
We call it "lard" and it is basically pork fat, 
rendered and cleaned and sold in blocks.


Next, I needed to cut up some pork loin.
Since I don't really want to eat a LOT of this,
I decided to go small.
I bought the meat at the local Carneceria.

I used 4 cloves of garlic. 
I love garlic!

Then
1 bay leaf
Oregano - about 1/2 teaspoon
Salt - mine is pink Himalayan
Paprika - not just plain paprika, but smoked


I chopped the garlic, then decided I needed MORE!


I melted a bit of the lard in the pan on low heat:



I added the pork and garlic
and began cooking it on low heat.




After it cooked a while,
I decided the chunks were too big
and so I used a sharp knife and cut them.

I added 1/4 cup of vinegar,
the oregano,
and the bay leaf.
Then I added about a cup of water
and simmered it
until the meat was tender.


Once the meat was done,
I added the paprika 
and the rest of the lard.


I added more water
and cooked it until the water was gone.


I had this nice covered glass dish to keep it in.


I let it cool a bit,
then poured it into the bowl.
I then covered it and put it in the refrigerator.


 It hasn't quite set up complete,
but I can tell it turned out perfect!
Oh my gosh!
It is delicious!


But now,
since I cannot eat bread,
I have to figure out what I'll spread it on.
Stay tuned!

If wheat isn't a problem for you,
you can toast some french or artisan bread
on the grill 
or on a skillet,
then spread this on as thick as you like it.
Dig deep into the bowl
for the tasty bits of meat.

Your taste buds are going to dance!

Buen Camino!
Annie

Some photos from the internet:





No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.