Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

DIY Hat Pocket

I have a Tilley Hat.
But honestly, I don't like it.
It's too heavy and doesn't crush small for packing.

I have an REI hat I like better.
But what's missing is the pocket on the inside.
That convenient little pocket for carrying the day's cash 
or copies of your passport and important credit card numbers, 
your room key,
or whatever...

So guess what I did?
Yup… that's right.
I sewed a pocket into my inexpensive REI hat.

Easy as pie and didn't cost a penny.

Here's how I did it?

First, I cut off a piece of inner lining fabric, 
18 inches long and about 4.5 inches wide,
and doubled it.


Next, I divided it into thirds and ironed it.
Then I folded down the top and ironed it.



Now fold up the bottom.
Fold down the top.


Then make the last fold.


Serge or zig-zag the side edges.
You now have a lightweight but strong pocket.


Place the pocket inside the hat.


Sew it in!


Here's what it looks like from the outside.
The photo makes it easy to see the stitching,
but in real life, it's pretty much invisible.



The pocket does not need a snap or zipper.
To use it, you put your fingers UP under the edge
and then DOWN into the pocket.
Anything you put inside is going to stay.

Cool Beans, huh?

Now go do it!

Buen Camino!
Love,
Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.