Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Saturday, October 03, 2015

Morning Walk in the Desert

The weather has cooled by about 10 degrees today.
It's finally beginning to feel like Autumn here in the desert.

My morning walk began just as the light peeked over the nearby hills.  

I can never seem to get enough of this time of morning. It's so quiet and still. The owl is getting ready for bed, and the only sound is the beating of my heart and my breath.  The rest of the world is still sleeping, and it's the perfect time to sort my thoughts and plan my day.


My shins are a bit sore today - so I cut my walk short.
I'll pick up yoga and do some swimming later today to make up for the lost time.

I'm staying in Desert Hot Springs for the next few months.
It's a bit of a silent retreat for me and I'm finding it very healing.
I sit on my front porch each morning and watch the sun come up over the nearby hills.

On the other side of those hills, by the way, is Joshua Tree National Forest.

According to their website:

Two distinct desert ecosystems, the Mojave and the Colorado, come together in Joshua Tree National Park. A fascinating variety of plants and animals make their homes in a land sculpted by strong winds and occasional torrents of rain. Dark night skies, a rich cultural history, and surreal geologic features add to the wonder of this vast wilderness in southern California



It is a beautiful place to visit and to walk.  The rock formations in the park make it a popular destination for rock climbers.

The Latin name for the Joshua Tree is Yucca brevifolia, and it is a member of the Agave family.   Native Americans used this plant for weaving baskets and sandals, as well as for food. Many birds, mammals, reptiles, and insects also depend upon this interesting plant for food.  Here are some of the animals you might see at Joshua Tree:

Black Tailed Hare (Jackrabbit)

Ring-tailed Cat

Desert Tortoise

Coyote

Big-horned Sheep


Bobcat


Western Tent Caterpillars

Chipmunk

Rattlesnake

Banded Gecko

Tarantula

Horned Toad

There are also many birds, but that is another post

The desert is alive and I love being here!
It's the perfect place to get into shape for my next trek!

Is anyone else out there in training?
Where are you and what are you doing?

Buen Camino!
Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.