Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Saturday, June 26, 2021

To Córdoba then ???

I tried updating this post from 2016, and it popped it up here into June 2021.  What the heck!?  Anyway, I don't want to lose the information about Tony and I'm afraid to try to update my Malaga posts, so here it will stay.
*******
What a day!

My new Camino Angel showed up last afternoon in the form of a Peregrino named Tony, an Australian from Antequera (now). Tony is walking to raise money to buy wheelchairs for sick children in Antequera. He s a survivor of a usually fatal leukemia who was one of the few saved by bone marrow transplant. I learned his story over a bottle of wine he shared with me and also learned he too had been snubbed by the French guy!

In the late afternoon, Tony took a short nap and the others were horrified to hear his very healthy SNORING!!! They then, apparently, told him he would have to sleep on a mattress on the floor in the kitchen! When they told me this, I just said, "Gee guys, that's nice of you. He survives death to sleep on the floor!"

But I don't think Tony minded. I know I must sound evil but it gave me great pleasure to hear Tony's LOUD SNORING not only echoing, but amplified up the stairs all night. It literally shook the roof, like a big friendly bear!! I had good earplugs but the French guy woke me up several times tossing and turning. I know it's mean, but it just felt like Karma.

This morning, Tony and I were in great spirits and he had coffee while I waited across the street in the dark for my bus.  I've decided to jump up to the Madrid route to finish the sections I missed last year.

The minute the bus picked me up, I saw Tony leaving and I felt he had been keeping an eye out for me. Bless you, Pilgrim, wherever the Camino takes you!

My bus took me back to Antequera, my only option to get out of town, as it was a fiesta day. I had made a Hostal reservation at Lucena, thinking I might continue walking from there. However the ticket counter was closed today and I was forced to use a cranky machine. I bought a ticket to Lucena, then tried to get a ticket to Córdoba for tomorrow. The ticket machine told me that if I went to Lucena, there was absolutely no option to get to Córdoba from there!!! None. Zip.

I tried a dozen combinations and it said no bus to Córdoba from Lucena. I would have to backtrack to Antequera AGAIN and go to Córdoba from there. At this point it was like the Universe was telling me to just move on. And so I bought ANOTHER ticket to Córdoba, where I knew I could get to Madrid, then Vallodolid.

Imagine my frustration when the damned bus took a 15 minute stop at Lucena!!!! My Canadian friends and I just laughed. This Camino is kicking my butt this year.

So I lost €€€ on the room in Lucena plus I was out for the cost of the one ticket. I complained to the bus driver but he just shrugged and at this point I felt laughing was the best option.

Sooooo... I have already seen Córdoba and am really wanting to walk, (after a day of rest, now) so I got a train ticket to Vallidolid. It was spendy, €82, but so much faster than the bus would have been. It was already turning into a 12 hour trip! Met another angel on the train who helped me make the jump from Atocha to Chamartin in just enough time to catch our train! She was going to Vitoria.

Arrived here starving, stinky, and weary. Found a hotel for €40. Didn't have the energy to look further. I'd like to get onto the Madrid route tomorrow if possible but I don't know. I'm going to shower then check bus schedules. I have not seen Vallodolid but at this rate I am going to run out of funds and I will still need to find a place to hunker down for two weeks from June 1-15 until time to pick up my group.

Ok. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

One thing is for certain, life is an adventure! Isn't it great?!

Annie
 
My first hamburguesa!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.